Map of the Vaudois territory
This map is located on the northern wall of the Bernese room (room no. 16). It shows the Vaudois territory in the last quarter of the 16th century, then under the rule of the confederates of the city of Bern, with a relatively high degree of accuracy.
The author of the original map is Thomas Schepf. He was a doctor of the city of Bern in 1565 and worked on the description of the territories that depended on it. His task lasted until 1576, when he received permission to publish the results of his observations (his map and an accompanying commentary). Only three copies of this work remain (one in the City Library of Bern, one in the Military Library of Bern and one in the Historical Museum of Lausanne). The map is being published at a time when cartography is booming. The famous cartographer Ortelius mentions Schepf's map in a list of published documents from which he drew inspiration for his treatise Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, the first modern atlas.
In 1925, F. Dubois, the director of the Historical Museum of Lausanne, presented this map to the general meeting of the Société vaudoise d'histoire et d'archéologie. His speech attracted the attention of Mr. Hegg, the director of the land registry. Noting the importance of this document in the history of local cartography, he had a copy of some parts of Schepf's plan drawn up. This first production made it possible to launch several heliogravure prints in 1930, including the one exhibited at the Castle of Chillon.
Map of the Vaudois territory (facsimile)
Musée cantonale d’archéologie et d’histoire (Lausanne)