Bone reliquary from the crypt.
In 1897, excavations in the first courtyard uncovered the crypt of a primitive chapel that served the castle and its village (room n°10). In the altar - dedicated table, researchers led by Albert Naef, the first chief archaeologist of the canton of Vaud, find the bone fragments of a reliquary. The receptacle itself contains a relic, a small piece of scapula, attributed to Saint Triphon, patron saint of the crypt.
The reliquary acquires great importance in the eyes of researchers. In an effort to reconstitute it, they try to date the primitive chapel, which had been abandoned and backfilled, more precisely in the 13th century, when the entrance tower was built and a new place of worship was consecrated in the third courtyard. They indicate its location on the paving at the beginning of the 20th century.
In 1914, three facsimiles were made from plaster casts of the receptacle, which had been used to test mounting hypotheses. The plates that compose them are fixed on a wooden structure, like the original fragments.
The shape of the reliquary and its ornamental patterns first encouraged researchers to date it to the Carolingian period. They therefore consider that the chapel and crypt date back to a period between the end of the 9th century to the beginning of the 10th century. But in the second half of the 20th century, this statement was reevaluated. There is now a tendency to give the reliquary a slightly different shape and to revise its dating according to typologies specific to the 11th or 12th centuries. The crypt itself is about two centuries younger. The reliquary presented to visitors is one of the facsimiles of 1914.
Bone reliquary from the crypt (facsimile)
Resin on wood core
Musée cantonale d’archéologie et d’histoire (Lausanne)