Stove with Lutry's coat of arms.
From the end of the 19th century, the excavations undertaken at the castle of Chillon™ made it possible to exhume many fragments of stoves made of glazed and embossed face tiles, some dating back to the 14th century. In the meantime, several complete specimen - of various types and origins - were acquired to furnish the castle. This exceptional stove was added to the collections in 1888, after having spent more than two centuries in Lutry's town hall.
Built in 1602 to heat the town council chamber, it consists of a Nialin stone body and a tower with a crowning of catelles. Its manufacture is particularly well documented since we know the names of the mason and potter who worked there: Amaudruz de Lutry and Henri Baud, a Freiburger.
The stove was severely damaged and relegated to a secondary room in City Hall in the mid-19th century; however, local scholars agreed on its historical importance and the Association for the Restoration of Chillon Castle acquired it in 1888. It was first installed in the Constable’s Dining Room. He remained there for fifty years before being moved to Camera nova when the room was refurbished for the meetings of the Association's Committee. The smoke stove Marius Grognuz equipped it with a cast iron heating element in the tower and heat registers outside.
Its shape - a fireplace with a rounded rectangular plan at the front and a tower - is a common 17th century typology. The lower part is decorated with a sun accompanied by six stars and a shield of Lutry's coat of arms, while the tower is covered with tiles with polychrome motifs painted at an angle on a green embossed background. In the centre of the coronation, the city's red and white arms are presented by two putti. The inscriptions “Lutry” and “Winter” appear under the turrets, and the year 1602 appears in two places.
This stove is the oldest example preserved in its entirety in the canton of Vaud, and the oldest specimen dated and attributed to Fribourg production.
Stove with Lutry's coat of arms
Nialin stone and glazed catelles
Inv. CH 402