Saint George slaying the dragon.
This statue, sculpted from a single block of limewood (or linden), depicts George of Lydda, a 4th-century martyr.
Legend has it that he rid the town of Silene (Libya) of a winged monster, allegory of the devil.
As the patron saint of chivalry, the saint is depicted in accordance with 15th-century stylistic canons: stood on top of the dragon's stomach, beardless and dressed in a full suit of armour. His shield is decorated with a cross and he probably held a lance in his right hand.
The sculpture’s origins are unknown, however, it was designed to be viewed from the front, because its back and sides are not decorated. The saint is looking downward, also suggesting it was supposed to be placed high up. There are still some polychrome fragments visible on his face and armour: red, black, silver and gold plating.
Chillon chapel was dedicated to Saint George by the House of Savoy in 1351. In celebration of this dedication, the statue was acquired by the Association for the Restoration of Chillon Castle in 1895.
Saint George slaying the dragon
inv : CH 135 bis