In 1798, at the time of the Vaudois Revolution, the Bernese left the castle, which became the property of the Canton of Vaud upon its foundation in 1803.
A major restoration campaign was launched at the end of the 19th century and is still ongoing.
The patriots of Vevey and Montreux occupied the fortress in January 1798. The castle became national property during the Vaudois Revolution, and belongs since then to the Canton of Vaud, from the date of its foundation in 1803. This old building was first used to stock weapons and ammunitions, and as a State prison. Thus, the first visitors to the castle would come across prisoners…
The medieval fortress attracted the Romantics. During his visit in 1816, Lord Byron, the British poet, found inspiration in the story of Chillon inmate François Bonivard to write his poem The Prisoner of Chillon, which made the castle famous. Many other artists were fascinated by Chillon and the landscape over which it towers.
At the end of the 19th century, cantonal archeologist Albert Naef was in charge of the restoration of the castle. Restoration campaigns are still ongoing nowadays.