The Castle Bazaar
It has been here for over one hundred years opposite the castle, facing the lake, offering tourists visiting Chillon Castle postcards of the site, posters, souvenirs and objects representing the medieval fortress.
The bazaar building is typical of the Heimatstil, and appeared for the first time on plans drawn up by the cantonal architect Albert Naef in 1897. At the time, they were already thinking about the comfort of the constantly increasing number of visitors. Nonetheless, building work on the project consisting of a small commercial premises and public toilet at the back, and a waiting room at the front would not begin until 1904. The bazaar was extended in 1939 however nothing further was done until the urgent work of rebuilding the public restrooms in 2014.
Since September 2015, the exterior and interior of the building have been refurbished; restoration of the wooden roof frame has been restored, the screening of the main façade has been renewed, the sloping ridges have been replaced, insulation has been installed, electrical installation have been completely changed, and the interior redesigned with new furnishings, a glass wall, etc.
After many months of renovation, the building re-opened its doors to the public on 24 March 2016. It houses a new shop where tourists will be delighted to find postcards, posters and all kinds of objects representing the castle.